Actually my nail polish stay more than the necessary time and they said that keeping it for quite some time may result to yellowish brittle nail in the end. And honestly, mine is getting yellowish already. Anyway, so I search about the possible causes and the effects of frequent usage of nail polish.
The effects of nail polish ingredients:
Toluene is used as a solvent in nail polish, meaning that it dissolves other chemicals to create a solution. It's a dangerous chemical that causes birth defects inanimals, affects the central nervous system and is fatal if swallowed.
Formaldehyde is another solvent with a hefty health risk attached: It's a known carcinogen, which means that it causes cancer, no question. The fumes of formaldehyde are irritating to mucus membranes in the eyes, nose and throat.
Ethyl acetate evaporates from the nail, which causes the polish to dry and harden. This means that you're breathing in the fumes from the chemical as your manicure sets. This solvent can pass through the skin, and prolonged exposure to the fumes can lead to lung, heart, kidney, and liver damage.
Butyl acetate is also a solvent used in nail polishes; it's toxic, and causes irritation to eyes, skin and lungs.
Phthalates are easily absorbed chemicals that keep nail polish chip-free. The European Union has banned them, but they'relegalin the United States. They're linked to early puberty in girls, low sperm count in men, sexual deformities and problems with fetal development.
Dibutyl phthalate is often replaced with phthalic anhydride, which isn't much better. This chemical is also a major health concern. It may be toxic to human immune and respiratory systems, and can cause cancer, organ damage, and membrane irritation.